8.16.2016

Scholarship application - Question 1

Leadership & Influence Question

Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.
(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

<<< MY ANSWER >>>

During my career, I had the chance to lead and influence plenty of people who worked with me. Young people as well as older people. I had the opportunity to teach or learn something with all of them. When I was a financial manager in 2000, the company where I worked for, was hiring someone for the cashier function. After the selection process, I chose one person who was in his 50's and most of my colleagues said that it was a mistake to choose him, he was considered old for the function. However, I taught him and after three years he was chief of his sector, and he thanked me for had given the opportunity to him. I saw someone who was wanted someone to bet on him. I bet, and I may say that I changed him as well as he changed me.
I believe that one of the most important skills that a leader should have is knowing how to listen what people have to say. This is also called humility. Sometimes the solution to one problem come from the most unbelievable person. When I worked for a company in 2009, I had two interns and I was the first manager of the company who included interns in the weekly meetings. Until that time, no one had done it. I believe that this is a great opportunity to them to have contact with the real business world. All of my interns thanked me for had given that experience to them. So, one day I was with a super problem to solve, and suddenly one of my interns came and asked to talk to me. I said, sure! It wasn't a surprise when he showed me the solution for the problem that I had. He told me that he only came to talk with me because I was the kind of leader who allows the team to explore new ideas and new perspectives, but most importantly, I always was open to receive these ideas no matter the level that the employee has in the company.
These are only two cases when I had the chance to influence someone and be seen as a leader. I have many others situations that I was capable of change and help people. I believe that most importantly beyond teach, influence or lead teams is always ready to learn something from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment